* Rawa Fried Prawns * –
These crisp golden fried prawns are so easy to make, & highly addictive !
They make an excellent bar snack or even as a side dish with a fish curry- rice meal.
If you want to serve these at a party, you can marinate the parwns in advance & then just fry them up before serving.
You will need –
■ 1/2 Kg Prawns (shelled & deveined)
■ Red chilli powder, Turmeric Powder, & Salt – to taste
■ Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
■ Tamarind Pulp/Kokum Extract/Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
■ Semolina (Rawa) & Rice flour – as required.
■ Oil – to shallow fry.
● Shell, Devein & wash the prawns thoroughly. Drain excess water.
● In a mixing bowl, make a paste using Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric, Salt, Ginger-Garlic Paste, & Kokum extract.
● Add the cleaned prawns to the mixing bowl & rub the spice paste into the prawns taking care that each prawn is coated well with the spice mix. Set aside to marinate for 30 mins.
● In a bowl or plate mix some rice flour & semolina (1 part rice flour : 3 parts semolina) You can add a pinch of Salt, chilli powder & turmeric to this mixture if you wish. Coat the marinated prawns with this semolina mixture & dust off excess.
● In a non stick pan, heat couple of tablespoons of oil & shallow fry the prawns till golden brown. Do not keep flip or stir them frequently. Cook on one side for 2 mins & then flip once to cook on the other side for another minute or 2.
Overcooking will make them tough & chewy.
~ Taste best with a generous squeeze of lemon, some salad on the side & chilled beer ofcourse ! 😉🍻