Transform bread, eggs and milk into an indulgent brunch dish, with this easy to make French Toast. Want to make it more interesting ? Jazz it up with a sweet, tangy Peach n Plum Compote.
Sounds yumm ?!
Here’s how you can make it –
French toast is an easy breakfast dish. Slices of bread are simply dipped in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk, and then fried in butter, until the outsides turn a nice golden brown with crisp edges, and the bread stays soft and fluffy inside.
There is no set measurement for this recipe.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and few teaspoons of milk.
- Add a pinch of salt, vanilla extract (optional) and a pinch of ground cinnamon, and mix well.
- Dip sliced bread in this egg mixture and let both sides of the bread soak up the mixture nicely.
- In a fry pan, heat a little butter, and shallow fry these soaked bread slices on medium heat, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate.
Peach & Plum Compote –
- In a pot of boiling water, add couple of peaches and plums. Let them cook for few minutes till their skins start peeling off. Transfer to a bowl with chilled water, take off the skins, and chop into bite sized chunks. (You can skip this step, if using canned peaches)
- In a saucepan, heat some butter and sugar, add a stick of cinnamon and few cloves, along with the chunks of fruit.
- Cook the fruit till its soft and the sugar is syrupy, and the mixture in infused with the spices.
- Allow to cool for few minutes and then pour over prepared French Toast. (tastes even better with a dollop of whipped cream on the side
This compote can be stored in a jar and refrigerated. Keeps well for a 8-10 days.
Fruits like Strawberries, Pineapples, Raspberries, or Apples can also be used instead of Peaches / Plums.
Try this simple and delicious recipe for your lazy Sunday brunch.
Perfect breakfast in bed, to woo that special someone *just saying* 😉